Friday, August 27, 2004

“There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.”
Oscar Levant
(1906 - 1972)

How utterly saddened I am by the supposedly sane. It is depressing to see a mind of value and a mind of brilliance restricted by the barriers of judgment and sense that is declared to be good. How can one define good sense?

Today I was muttering to myself as I sorted my mail. I stopped, chuckled at myself, and proceeded to shuffle about after ceasing the dialect I was thoroughly enjoying before. And then I realized something. A sweet epiphany fell upon me, descending in rebellious and defiant splendor. Why had I stopped talking to myself? I wasn’t actually holding a conversation with one of my other personalities, though there doesn’t exist one doubt in my person that many do indeed exist, but I was just narrating to myself what I thought of the material before me. It was dreadfully entertaining.

So why did I stop? What is so terrible about thinking aloud? It is considered abnormal, to say the very least, and yet why is that? It’s not as if we talk to the people who surround us any more. We talk on our cell phones plenty, but not while we walk or go through with our general chores. No one seems to smile on the streets any more and pleasant greetings hardly transpire between strangers nowadays.

So why not talk to yourself?

To dwell in silence when one’s own voice could caress the wind about him or her is a pity. The only way to truly discover what thoughts scurries through one’s mind is to say them out loud and preferably in public. How absolutely nauseating it is to think that I stopped amusing myself so simply because the act isn’t one of the general public. How ashamed I am! Think of what I could have learned; think of what musings could then have been made know unto me. How unjustified was the termination of my audible contemplation!

Surely the only good sense in existence is one’s own sense of mind. Is there really such a thing as “bad” sense, or simply a different sense? No. The only sense that could be considered remotely “good” is any of the following: intuition, thought that is rational to the person thinking, and the art of being eccentric.