Friday, August 27, 2004

“Do you ever miss being a baby?” My mother inquired of me as we drove home from Costco.

I gave a puzzled, slightly worried look in response.

“You know, those golden days in which the extent of your contribution to society was a big stretch.”

Another puzzled, slightly more worried look.

“When all you had to do was wave an arm or roll on your side and passersby would applaud your every move. That all I want. I want to wiggle my big toe and have everyone cheering. Now I have to work full time, restore a house, feed my kids. I have to take care of my mother, keep the house clean, clothe my children, pay for a mission, and almost no thanks is given me. One day I want to wiggle a bit and satisfy everyone around me. I think I would enjoy that.” She laughed a bit in her fatigue.

An understanding, though still worried look.

Humorous as this was, it woke me up in a sense. Mum does do a lot. She does come home after teaching till 4 and paint the basement. And she even feeds her kids.

One day I’m going to wake her up, and when she stirs a bit I’ll cheer for her as loud as I can.