Friday, May 21, 2004

Sleep deprived and tired, I yawn as I sit in my desk in trig class. I talked with Elisse for an hour last night at around 1, so my yawns force themselves out from my chest frequently and sporadically. I’m really happy that I still have my dearest little Elissie. How dear to my heart she is. To truly have someone who understands, who offers comfort in face of troubles unspoken, who realizes the mentality and mindset in which I dwell, is such a reassurance. The conversation we held last night was no longer awkward and uncomfortable, but relaxed and extremely easy to enjoy. This doesn’t change the fact, however, that it transpired during the most ungodly of early hours, so here I sit, yawning and stretching, struggling to stay awake.

I half-haphazardly listen to the conversation Jo and Anita are holding, and my eyes wander around the room with no goal or sight to capture. Jon is discussing Canadians with Mrs. Nagle, who’s currently harboring 3 at her house. EasTV, the student-directed and student-produced news show of East high school, turns on. Normally I’m vexed by this. I see little/no point in EasTV, and I’m burned by the fact that it’s held during one of my few classes in which the teacher actually teaches. The show acts mainly to exist as yet another petty, sentimental procedure that robs students and teachers of class time. Jo informs me that this is the last EasTV, so it will probably be long and drawn out. AAArrgh.

After a couple reports about absolutely nothing, a boy turns the time over to Jamie, a talented video-graphics genius in my ward. I perk up for this. He’s incredible with a camera, he is. I don’t know how to name his piece; it was simply a well-made clip show of the most random events related to east high. There were shots of football games, random pictures from the hallways, a clip of me shrieking my heart out on the stage of Take 5, videos of the dances and regular student life. Kudos to you, Jamie.

Regularly I would roll my eyes and simulate the symptoms of bronchitis upon witnessing such sentiment, but rather I enjoyed it. It was a quality piece, and didn’t focus on one part of student life. This seemed to make everything less petty, all the rituals and ceremonies less ridiculous, even my classes now had worth. This is the last EasTV I’ll ever see. In two weeks I’ll burst through the side doors of this school and never return. Out of the 2,030 students enrolled in East High School, I’ll continue to see 10 of them or so. This population will not matter come June 4th, for me it will cease to exist. How can something that held so much weight in my life disappear in one fleeting moment? So easily!

How incredible. My high school career is almost over. Over.

Splendid…