Monday, May 10, 2004

AAAAHHHH! They killed blogger. They've made it all different and trendy and less-rough. Oh- I loved the old blogger so much. This is supposed to be better, I know; comments are now an option and everything else is improved, but that's not what I wanted from a blog. I never wanted to join a community, I just wanted to write. It all seemed so simple...

Not that I've been writing, though. This last week has been completely void of anything worth while. How sad. I have returned, however, and hopefully my nearly-daily writing habits return triumphantly with me. Maybe not. Meh.

Yesterday Carter and I went to prom. We're something of an "item" now, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I adore Carter, and I love dating him, but do I want to be part of an item? Hmmm...I just don't know. But anyway: Prom.

Prom was interesting. I enjoyed myself, but I still retain the opinion that the ritual of prom is one without purpose or justification of any type, and that it's just plain stupid. It just is. For so many reasons:
1. Though I believe in spending a night on the town in a nice restaurant, this isn’t the same thing. Take away the ribbons and the dresses and the colored fish-netting and see do you have: a stomp. Nothing more, nothing less. They play the same trendy, mindless music, people are just as dependent upon their social cliques and groups, the dancing is just as horrid.
2. It’s so Freaking expensive! $40 a ticket? (not a couple, a ticket) For what? Terrible catering and careless service? One has to drop at least $100, at the VERY least. If you did anything that my group did last night (rent a stretch limo with a chauffeur [ $60 an hour + a $75 tip] and go to any activities at all, then the price bucks up easily.
3. Girls bank so much on this one night. I’ve seen egos shattered because of one night they didn’t get to participate in. It supports and strengthens the social hierarchy that I find to be so damaging to those that look up to it. Why rest your esteem on whether or not you get asked to prom? The girls that don’t get asked are often the most deserving. Why desire something so stupid?
4. It’s Stupid!!!!! Unless you’re dating the person taking you, it often ends up awkward anyway. Since Carter and I ARE dating, we didn’t have this problem, but saw it prevail in our group.
5. It has no point.

There are 5 reasons why I think prom is stupid. I have to admit, though, I had fun last night. This is simply because I adore Carter and the time spent with him, however, had it been anyone else I’d come back with an even more drawn-out explanation as to why I hate prom. Stupid tradition…

I’ve converted to cellular, by the way. I have a cell phone. It’s cute and small and sexy and black. Hmmm….what shall I name it? Poor nameless cellular phone….