Sunday, February 22, 2004

Every time I get off of work I walk down to the lower level of the mall to call for a ride home. I wait on the same bench everyday, staring off into the abyss in the same, empty way. Approximately 8 feet in front of my bench is a display window for Williams Sonoma, displaying the latest nostalgic electric beater or steel fondue pot. The displays change with the season, from Christmas to Valentines and then to Asian cooking in between holidays. For some reason I find this incredibly insulting, how the last month we all just scraped through is represented by a pot designed to melt cheese, how the absolute kitchen must-haves change every time they decide to alter that display window. One could never have a complete kitchen; a new must is named every month as an essential to the well-rounded kitchen. Who do these people think they are? Someday I'll march into Williams Sonoma and remove everything from that stupid display window. I'll toss the heart-shaped cupcake molds, chuck the sea-green blenders, I'll take everything. The colorful posters, the lights, the antique table holding the treasures of the store. Then I'll leave the store and sit on my bench, staring into the pure emptiness of that window that once demanded so much of the owner of a well-rounded kitchen. There will be no must-haves, no handy knickknacks, no bright posters telling me why my kitchen isn't complete. Then there will be nothing I need.