Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Yesterday before I went to baby-sit for Jen I went shopping and picked up some liquid black eye liner along with a curling iron. The eye liner is somewhat extreme, but I gave my self 10 minutes to apply it right before mum came home and it looked magnificent.

I perfected my makeup just as mum came through the door and announced that she felt like something fun.

We decided to go see “the notebook.”

It’s a rare occasion for mum and me to go out to a show in general, and on a weekday it’s absurd to think about it. But after both of us looked back at our days we indulged ourselves and went to the movie.

“Oh, it’s splendid!” Mum exclaimed as we neared the theater. “I never see movies twice (isn’t that the truth) but this one is wonderful. It’s the chickest flick on the market.”

Awesome. A good chick flick is really nice every now and then. But, I reminded myself as I looked at my flawlessly dolled up face in the mirror, I mustn’t cry and wash down the masterpiece my face had become.

Well, almost. I was rather close. I made it through the movie up until the part where Noah and Allie get up and dance to “I’ll Be Seeing You” In the nursing home. I started sobbing hysterically, spilling my chewy sweet tarts all over the people in front of me.

“S-s-s-ooor-ry!” I choked out.

The couple turned around. The girl, whose face was covered in tears and mascara, totally understood. The man looked around him as if he’d missed a bombing or some other life-claiming national tragedy of the sort.

My makeup, surprisingly, held up pretty well (sort of). After the movie mum and I went to grab some new lipgloss at shopko, and there I stumbled upon the black eye liner I had bought the day before.

I thought of Noah. I thought of Allie and Noah dancing and fighting and kissing, and being separated for 14 years. I thought of the scene in “Hanging Up” where the parents are dancing to their song, I thought of Noah reading to Allie, I thought of the scene in “Patch Adams” where the wrinkled woman dives into the pool of spaghetti. I thought of the man I want to marry and the slim chances I feel I will ever find someone like that. I thought of the drenched black mess my face probably was at that instant.

I started to sob in the middle of the isle, collapsing on mum and crying.

Ah, c'est la vie!