Thursday, June 23, 2005

I accompanied Mimmi to the town "mall" today, which is nothing more than a small two-story strip mall in the village center. Things are much more expensive over here, but sometimes I let reason get lost in the conversion factors, and toss my necessary frugality into a maze of carried ones and divided eights, knowing it won't soon return. American style is mixed with European trends here to create a sporty, bright flavor that the locals pull off effortlessly. The merchandise is nothing that is limited in America; I could get everything I shop for over here much cheaper there. I see clothing I dislike but know I could pull off, accessories I would sneer at back home, but instead I curiously watch them dangle appealingly from new racks with foreign tags. Everything seems cheaper until I actually do the math and realize I'm a fool to even venture into town.

Luckily, Norway's economy is one that I am more than happy to shovel money into.

Yesterday I made my first batch of bread with Mimmi. All the Norwegian women make their own bread, and it's delicious and extremely healthy. For some reason I feel extremely talented.

The rest of my day will be lax, and very similar to all my other days here. Today I might go up to the polarbadet to lap swim and buy a month membership. Wouldn't it be great if I returned from my trip abroad with great skin and a toned stomach?