Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I am so very tired. I went to work on the house at 11, went shopping for materials at 4, ate lunch, worked till 10. Needless to say we accomplished a phenomenal amount of work, and the shimmers of hope that once peeped through matted carpet and dirty walls are beginning to pour through the flawless hardwood flooring and fresh paint. I do hope we buy.


Today we:
• ripped up the gross, dirty, shag carpeting
• pulled out all the staples and sidebars and such
• swept, mopped, swept and then mopped the floors
• scrubbed the walls and the trim
• patched together the multitudinous holes with spackling (material of the GODS, how I love this stuff)
• painted two rooms, including detail work


Tomorrow we plan to:
• Sand and finish the floors (this will be the hardest part, even though we’re using a belt sander. I’m not sure how long this will take, but it will occupy most of the day)
• Apply the second coat of paint to the two rooms that we painted today.
• paint the trim.
• move on to the living room in which we will:
o rip up the gross, dirty, shag carpeting
o sweep, mop, sweep and then mop the floors
o scrub the walls and the trim
o patch together the multitudinous holes with spackling (It’s so handy! So very handy! Oh! Spackling, how I love thee!!!)
o paint the room, including the detail work.

And then of course, we just have to clean up the mess that the previous tenants made in the other rooms. I was extremely reluctant to move in this house because it was previously inhabited by college students. A part of me hesitates to say “students”, however, because that would imply that they were human, which, after fixing all that they have done to this house, I doubt quite a bit. They’re not humans per say, but large, hairless apes. Apes who once had hair, but, due to grimy and positively filthy living conditions, developed a disease similar to leprosy that caused them to lose all their hair. These people couldn’t have been human, there is simply no way. There is no way someone could live like this: dirty clothes strewn everywhere (This is the condition we entered it in; they didn’t bother to take the clothes they didn’t feel like washing, so we have a huge bin of clothes that we plan to ritualistically burn under a full moon), old Chinese food stuck in random crevices of the house, an incalculable mound of empty diet coke boxes, and dirty dishes with food STILL IN THEM scattered about. This is how they left their rental house, and the landlord, though a pleasant enough man who’s willing to work with us, didn’t do anything about it. I had to scrub the hearty man dinners off of their cheap china so that we can donate it to DI and still have souls. I kid you not. I had to pick up their morbid jeans and throw them in a pile to be disposed of (I’m quite set on the moonlit ritualistic burning, but mum’s somewhat hesitant. I’ll have to talk her into it). These people were slobs, wasters, and downright disgusting people/apes. It’s terrible.

We’re hoping the incredibly low state of affairs will push down the price if the owner with give in and sell, so it does have its advantages.

I hope we buy, I really really do. Well, I’m dead tired from today and have an even more extensive day ahead of me. Farewell.