Thursday, December 07, 2006

Perhaps this is why running away from one's problems is a solution recommended by very few; I am referring to what today's repetitive, monotonous media would term “a lack of closure”, a phrase so bromidic that I hesitate to use it, yet for the sake of concision I shall employ such lackluster tools. That is what this is, as are all our personal experiences: despite the importance this situation holds in my life, despite the emotions it commands, it is always, in retrospect and upon examination, summed up and narrowed down to the general, given to all to see, touch, and to make their own, despite its personal nature. The blade that soars down upon me is truly two-sided; I am always so offended and disillusioned to see the conventionality of the things so dear to my heart, yet the experience of such situations, and the consequent comprehension of the concepts that birth our society's cliches make me feel awfully distinguished and wise. At these times I feel as if I am now one of those “older” people, the people who forcibly drag you away from self-pity with sloppy “been there, done that” remarks that, through the apathy instilled in them, negates the very real, very painful dilemma of whatever it is one is suffering. Do these remarks reflect the pain of the past? Does one ever distance oneself enough to carelessly reminisce, or is there a sadness behind every “been there, done that” remark? Perhaps even the “been there, done that, and I did it before you did, so stop sobbing about it, bitches” remarks blush with a tint of misery that can only be quelled by feigned nonchalance. Either way, both facets of any given ordeal- both the defeated acknowledgment of the plebeian and the satisfaction one gleams from an understanding of the plebeian- are exasperating when one has yet to come to terms with what has happened or successfully resolve what has happened. There is no consolation prize, no red ribbon to applaud your failed endeavors, only a hazy question mark that rises from the dust of the rubble, insulting your intelligence, your efforts, and your fatally wounded pride.